Installing tracking pixels is one of the most important things to complete when you start your journey with Match2One. It's the way to connect Match2One to your website. There are 2 types of pixels, Segment Pixel and Conversion Pixel, and in this guide we'll explain you how to install your Conversion Pixel using Google Tag Manager.
Conversion Pixel tracks information on conversion events happening on your website.
To install pixels using this guide, you'll need an account at Google Tag Manager. If you don't have it already, you can create one for free here.
Install the Match2One Conversion Pixel with order value
Step 1 - Extract the conversion value
1. Make sure that you’ve installed the Google Tag Manager plugin for your Webshop. This is needed for transferring order value to the data layer in Google Tag Manager.
2. In Google Tag Manager, select preview mode. Open a new tab in your web browser and go to your conversion page on your website.
3. Choose the Data Layer tab in the Google Tag Manager console at the bottom. You’ll see something like this:
4. Find a variable related to the order value. In this example, the order value is $40, and in the Data Layer, you see that the variable corresponding to this amount is named “transactionTotal”.
*Keep in mind that the name of the variable may be different for your webshop!
5. Copy the name of the variable that has the conversion value. In this case “transactionTotal“.
6. Return to Google Tag Manager. In the left menu select Variables.
7. Press the ''New'' button to create a new variable.
8. Name your variable in the top left input field. You can call it for example “order_value”.
9. Click the Pen Icon and select ''Data Layer Variable''.
10. Paste the name you copied from your conversion page into the Data Layer Variable Name field.
11. Click ''Save''.
Step 2 - Create a tag
1. Go to your Match2One account and in the 'Tracking' section copy your unique conversion script. Remember to check the 'Add script with order value...' box.
2. Go to Google Tag Manager, log in to your account and select the container for your website.
3. Select ''Add a new tag''.
4. Select ''Tag configuration''.
5. Select ''Custom HTML Tag''.
6. Paste the conversion script you copied earlier into the HTML text area.
7. Scroll down and click ''Triggering''.
8. Click the "+" icon to add a trigger.
9. Click ''Trigger configuration''.
10. Select ''Page view''.
11. Select ''Some Page Views''.
12. Enter a URL or part of a URL that is unique to your conversion page.
13. Click ''Save''.
14. Name your trigger and click ''Save''.
15. Click ''Save'' once more.
16. Also name your tag and save it.
Step 3 - Test and publish
1. Refresh the ''Preview'' mode.
2. Go to your website tab and refresh it. Go to your conversion page again.
In the Google Tag Manager console at the bottom, choose your Match2One tag. You should see the value with your actual purchase value. In this example: ''other=40''.
3. If everything is working properly, publish your changes in Google Tag Manager.
4. Click ''Publish'' again.
5. Optionally you can add a description, or ''Skip'' this step.
6. Congratulations, your conversion pixel is firing!
Want to install the conversion pixel without order value?
Also, make sure to install Match2One Segment Tracking: